Monday, November 19, 2007

He's Going the Distance

Wondering about the progress of my running over the last couple of months? Eh... very little has happened since I ran a 23:13 in a competitive 5K back in mid-October. Right now, I'm exploring longer distances at slightly slower paces to see if my body is open to the idea. Tonight's route was 4.9 miles (I measured it... see?) and I ran it in 42:45-ish (I timed it, too... but I don't have the stopwatch in front of me).

I was thinking during tonight's run: Life = running... running = life. For example, it's interesting how my hardest and most strenuous workouts can result in the most disappointment. I feel like I'm flying... only to come down the stretch and realize that my training has taken a step BACK. On the other hand, I've been surprised by some quick times after what felt like relatively easy runs.

In much the same way, some of my daily "to-do's" appear to be relatively harmless at first. I worked on a few of those "softballs" today and, disappointingly enough, I made little progress. Other projects seem so daunting, I can hardly think about them... much less begin to chip away at the stone. Then they're gone in an instant, crumbling to dust, no longer important, off the list.

So... what's the true measure of importance? In running - when I'm out there by myself trying to overcome those demons in my head - I have to think it's the effort, not the results. It's pushing through those doubts and finishing... then coming back again for another shot at rising to meet my own challenge. In life, I may end the day disappointed in my lack of progress, but aren't the stiffest challenges - the tough tests that face me day after day - also the most rewarding?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats