Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Productivity

OK, so maybe I just feel guilty when I see others "getting stuff done", but I've been thinking that productivity shouldn't be measured by the quantitative results one is able to demonstrate as having resulted from his/her actions.

My mom is neat and orderly. She doesn't like to clean, but I daresay she gets stressed out by a dirty, disorderly home. So she'll clean because she likes the results. Her sister: not so much. I'd be willing to bet that woodcarving and reading rank above folding laundry and mopping on my aunt's to-do list. She doesn't mind a little clutter... and she has a very curious and creative mind; one that would rather tinker and learn than keep things straight. So which sister has her priorities in order? They both do. They do what makes them happy, and they stay true to themselves.

I wonder how many attempts my aunt has made at carving a figure before she arrived at something she liked or was proud of. I know firsthand that she'll spend hours upon hours perfecting her art. Sometimes she has nothing to show for it. Does that mean she wasn't productive? No. She's learning... getting better all the time... being productive.

Reminds me of a favorite quote from Thomas Edison: "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats