Sunday, April 02, 2006

Happy DST, Everyone.

Just in case you wondered about the history of Daylight Saving Time (yes, it's Saving... without the 's'), the U.S. Naval Observatory has a nice little web page about it. Of course, you could always just Google the phrase "Daylight Saving Time", too. I'm sure you'd have hours of entertaining reading material available at the click of a mouse.

I'm reminded of a story my dad always tells... the details escape me, but the gist of it is this: when he was younger (maybe around the time of the Uniform Time Act of 1966?), he recalls a farmer calling in to a radio station or writing to his local paper and asking if the extra hour of daylight would affect his crops. I'm here to tell you, folks... the U.S. government isn't quite that good.

Anyway... to take advantage of the extra hour of daylight today, I did... nothing. Well, OK. I went over to Jess' place a bit after 6 and helped her clean off the patio furniture so she and Flip could use it for a little gathering they're having on Friday night. Then I fired up the grill, cooked some burgers, and we watched the Lady Heels get thrashed by Maryland for the second time this season. And here I thought the women were always supposed to win a National Championship the year after the men did. Now I'm officially in mourning until the start of football season. Sorry to all you baseball fans out there, but I just... cannot... watch... a... baseball... game... on... T... V... because... it's... like... watching... Galapagos... Turtles... mate. No... wait. It's... like... watching... them... sleep. Live baseball games are another thing altogether. And if you've never seen a pro baseball game in Puerto Rico, you owe it to yourself to put that on the list of things to do before you die. I've done it once, and the energy in the stadium was absolutely electric. Think professional soccer in England or cycling in France.

Alright... that's enough silliness for tonight. Jess will be back next time to restore some sanity to this here blog, and maybe she'll add some cute little pictures for your viewing pleasure. Until then, everyone be safe and have fun. I hope all your lives are brilliant!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats