Sunday, February 19, 2006

"Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger"

It's kind of ironic that I decided to write this post tonight since I can't taste much of anything, but I think it's time to list my top 10 restaurants....in no particular order. I've been fighting the crud aka the common cold all weekend and am losing the battle. I think I've forgotten how to breathe out of my nose it's so stopped up. Oh well, enough self-pity, on to better topics like cheeseburgers.

After making this list I noticed a common theme at most of these restaurants-the cheeseburger. All of you that know me well know that I'll take a cheeseburger over pretty much anything. And if I'm craving something, it's usually a cheeseburger...just ask Mike....he's been sent on many a cheeseburger run the past year and a half.

Drumroll please...here are my top 10 favorite restaurants....or the first 10 I thought of.

Portillo's: Hands down my favorite restaurant on the face of the earth. I've been going through withdrawal ever since I moved back to NC. Thanks to Andrea for introducing it to me. I ate there at least two times a week for lunch while in sunny warm IL. ha.

Clara's: Another Chicago favorite. This place didn't look like much from the outside, but had the best Italian food I've ever had (except in Italy). Rudy Jr's Shrimp Special was to die for. I could stop and get take out on the way home from work which was a extra bonus. They also introduced me to my favorite wine, Santa Margherita (spelling?) pinot grigio. Good Stuff.

Old Stone Cafe: This little cafe is in the small town of Lockport, IL along the original canal leading to Lake Michigan. There was no other place to go on a bitter cold IL day than to Old Stone for either chicken and dumpling soup or french toast, read the paper, and admire the quilts displayed on the walls.

Hannah's: Anyone that has ever been home to visit with me has been to Hannah's Barbeque. It's western style, none of that vinegar based stuff, yuck. So if you're ever in Lenoir (for what reason I don't know why), stop at Hannah's on Hwy. 321. You won't be disappointed....and they have some of the best sweet tea in the state.

Sutton's: Now we start with the first of many hamburger joints. All of you fellow Heels know what Sutton's is. Sutton's is a drugstore on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill that still has a lunch counter in the back. There are pictures everywhere including one of the entire drumline from 1995. It's still proudly on the wall above the magazines at the front of the store. We visit it every time we're back in the Southern tip of Heaven. Hard to believe that was 11 years ago. Shh....don't tell anyone, but we're not in college anymore. When did that happen? Go Heels!

Hamburger Joe's: Starting to see the theme here? Everytime we go to the beach, a trip to Hamburger Joe's is made. It was just a hole in the wall, but they have recently moved to a brand spankin new building. Just leave the credit cards at home please, cash only.

El Cancun: I wouldn't say this is my favorite Mexican restaurant ever, but the company of Flip and Chad on many a Wednesday night puts it into the top ten. I don't know how this tradition started, but after I moved back to Charlotte, the three of us started meeting there for dinner on Wednesdays. Flip...remember when Chad would hardly talk because he didn't know me......now the three of us just chat away. Holla!

Penguin: Hands down the best overall Hamburger joint in Charlotte. It has been on the corner of Thomas Street and Commonwealth forever. This is a perfect example of not judging a book by it's cover. It is tiny and turns into a bar later in the night. All the servers are covered in tattoes and piercings, but they have the best hamburgers and service in town. You might have to wait up to an hour for a table, but they somehow keep everyone straight just by sight and seat you as quickly as possible.

Zach's: I know, I know....another hamburger place...at least I can admit when I have a problem. Although Julie would probably agree with me when I say a cheeseburger addiction is not a problem, it's a necessity. Zach's is another long time Charlotte institution that I was introduced to after moving back to NC. It's at the corner of South and Scaleybark and nothing has changed since it opened in the 70s. It's also the sight of Mike's and my annual day before Thanksgiving lunch. We've not been able to figure out the whole family thing the past two years (especially with the 20 sides to my family), so we make sure to have lunch the day I leave to head to Hickory.

And finally....

Antoine's: I had to include one of the restaurants we ate at while in New Orleans. Although there were many favorites, including the Lucky Dog stands and Cafe Du Monde, Antoine's took the cake. The service was superb and the food was divine. I still remember the roquefort wedge salad I had and the filet they served with a butter knife that you didn't even need to use. It was the best steak I've ever had in my life. I'll never forget enjoying a great meal in one of New Orleans oldest and most famous restaurants and then strolling back through the French Quarter.

As I was creating this list I thought of two more places as honorable mentions..and of course they're hamburger joints.

1. Dot's Cafe-I am such a bad granddaughter. How could I make a favorite restaurant list and not include my Grandma Dot's cafe in Happy Valley. She really does make a mean hamburger and will make me biscuits and gravy even if breakfast is over. Isn't it great being the only grandchild?.....except when they start asking about great-grandchildren.....such pressure....j/k.

2. Snoop's-Another Hamburger place in Charlotte. It's very small and mainly a lunch place, but my favorite Hamburger so far....and if you can't tell, I'm an expert when it comes to these things. You order your burger and then they have a build your own burger bar....kind of like a salad bar. I found this little treasure on Hawthorne when I was out shopping for Christmas and just fell in love.

Well, I'm hungry again after talking about all this food. Now if the cold gods would just be so kind to give me my taste buds back. And to those of you who were wondering how we did in the nursery today.....it didn't happen :-(. I blew my nose all day/night long and didn't want to pass it on. It's too bad cause we were really looking forward to it. Oh well, I'll have to learn how to change a diaper another day....I've held out for this long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats