Sunday, May 07, 2006

Every Place Is A Special Place

Our friend Heidi recently treated us to a tour of her home, so I decided to give her this in return...

I leave the bedroom . . . I begin walking
through my house. I will traverse it
many times today like a creature
covering her turf. It is a journey
that zigzags and returns upon itself . . .
a circumambulation . . . a re-remembering of "place."

I know this is the way many ancients prayed--
circling a holy site to deepen their devotion . . . .
The floor in this house is wood . . . wide, old boards.
When I walk I am walking on the wood and in the woods.
I am walking on the life of these trees.
They have been cut and planed . . . offered up
for this sheltering.

--Gunilla Norris
in Being Home


Why this quote? It reminds me that most of us pay a hefty price for the places in which we live. And it's tempting to lament the amount of work and money required to maintain the houses, condos, apartments, and other structures we call "home".

But think about what we get in return...

Our houses protect us. They give us shelter. Security. Independence. Freedom. Expression. Comfort. Happiness. We create wonderful memories in, around, and about our homes. Our homes deserve respect, admiration, and love. Heidi has it right when she says that Forsythe (that's the name of her house... Forsythe) "sits comfortably (and permanently...)" in its location... no doubt because she and Jon show Mr. Forsythe lots of love. So, all of you out there, do one thing with me tonight before you drift off to sleep in your comfortable beds:

Thank your home and tell it how much you love and appreciate its place in your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats